Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Recipe for Tracy. . . and MPM!

So here is a recipe I needed to post from my MPM, and one requested by my SIL! Here you go!!!

French Toast Casserole

½ cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 ½ tsp cinnamon

sliced bread (about 1 loaf)

5 eggs

1 ½ cups milk


Melt butter, pour in bottom of 9x13 pan. Top butter with brown sugar and cinnamon. Put ripped up bread over the top. Beat eggs and milk and pour over the bread. Cover with tin foil and refrigerate overnight (you can skip this step). Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with syrup.


You can freeze this before baking it!


Here's how it can be changed: My sister doubled the bottom so that it didn't really need any syrup at all. And she used raisin bread. MMMMMMM! I was in heaven. Thus I promptly got on her computer and e-mailed her recipe to me!


What I have done with my family (and with the extended family over) is make the bottom & spray the sides of the Pyrex (this prevents it from sticking!!!). Then I used half a loaf of "healthy bread" (which my son calls bird-seed bread--he doesn't like it! but this gets him eating it in disguise!), put a layer of cinnamon and raisins, then do half a loaf of white bread, and top it with some more cinnamon and raisins. I had to save an un-raisin-ed portion for my bro-in-law who doesn't like them. Then I topped it all with 7 eggs and milk (because we had lots!). It was delicious! We served it with bacon and fruit salad.



Crunchy Fruit Salad

(From Saturday's Snack--MPM post)


For this recipe, use your favourite fruits. I generally use grapes, bananas, strawberries, kiwis and oranges. Then I take 1/2 c. sour cream and mix it with 1-2 T white sugar and a splash of lemon juice. This will get mixed into the fruit just before serving!


For the topping, use:


3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter (or margarine)
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, oats and walnuts. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or cross cutting with 2 knives, until you have coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping on a sprayed cookie sheet or pan.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 15 minutes or until crunchy.

To serve, mix fruit. Mix sauce with fruit. Spoon into serving bowls. Spoon topping over fruit. You can add a dollop of whipped cream if you desire! And enjoy!

1 comment:

Life with a Van said...

Thanks for this recipe. I make one with blueberries and chunks of cream cheese (which the kids call "yucky butter"). I'll try yours next time.